Welcome to Scorpio Season! A show devoted to reviewing the State of the Universe in alphabetical order, hosted by Lisa Neigut and Venkatesh Rao. Each season is 26 episodes (A-Z), and each episode explores topics under the letter of the week (LOTW).
You can subscribe on YouTube for the full video experience, or via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or Spotify for the audio-only experience.
Follow us on Twitter @scorpioseasontv for updates, show notes, etc.
Season 2: Adventures in Hapless Hackery
Premiering on October 23, 2020! Season 2 will review the State of the Universe in alphabetical order from the perspective of DIY, hacking, making, repairs, junk, building, and tools. As they say, when you have a hammer in your hand, everything looks like a nail. We'll be trying to look at the universe as a bunch of nails. If you're making something cool you'd like to show off on Scorpio Season, get in touch.
Season 1: Reviewing the Universe
The pilot season ran from April 20, 2020, to Sept 6, 2020. It was a warmup season reviewing the State of the Universe from our default Scorpio perspective. Links are to twitter threads with show notes and listening/viewing links.
- Episode A: Astrology, Aesthetics. link
- Episode B: Beefs, Bitcoin, Biden, Bernie, and Bloomberg. link
- Episode C: Cartoons, Contagion, Corona, COVID, Cleaning (as in house). link
- Episode D: David Deutsch, Doja Cat (the legibility of pop culture?). link
- Episode E: Energy, Eigenstates, Entropy, Environment, Emergency, Evilness. link
- Episode F: Feminism, Fluency, Food banks, Faraday Cages, Faster than light communication. link
- Episode G: Graphs (wolfram physics news; coronavirus curve graphs?), Gas, Gossip, Guns, Godheads / Giants. link
- Episode H: Hannah Arendt, Hitchhikers Guide, Haircuts (actual hair). Halvening, Halfway points. link
- Episode I: IQ, Insight + Innocence, Igloos (houses?), Inside/Indoors. link
- Episode J: Jokes / Jokers, Jane Jacobs. link
- Episode K: Kakistocracy, KKK, Klingon, Karaoke, K-Cups, Killjoys, Karate, Knitting, Knock offs, KO (knock outs), Kites, Kettles, K-Pop, Knudsen (William). link
- Episode L: Legibility, Legal Systems, LARPing. link
- Episode M: Mansions, Money (and bitcoin’s relationship to it?). link
- Episode N: Networking, Niftyness, Neighbor. links
- Episode O: Ofey (feynman’s nickname, nicknames/feynman), Opera, Open plan offices, (New) Old Homes. link
- Episode P: Programming, Progressivism, Probability (connections to Doug Adams/Hitchhiker’s Guide), Postrats, Portents. link
- Episode Q: Quantum Mechanics, Questions, Quitting, Quixoticism, Quarantine, Queens, Quests. link
- Episode R: Red Pills / “Pilling”, Resentment and Ressentiment, Rightness (political spectrum), Return on Investment, Repairs. link
- Episode S: Salons, Sonya, Salience, Schools, Spot Prices. link
- Episode T: Thielism, T is for Trauma, TV, Texas, Taxes. link
- Episode U: Underworlds, Uncanny, Universe, Unboxing. link
- Episode V: V is for Vaudeville (WWE wrestling / kayfabe?), VR, Values, Vaults. link
- Episode W: White Glove, Woke, Writing, Wisdom. link
- Episode X: Xerox, Xylitol, Xylophones, Xeroscaping, X (unknowns), X (collaborations, ie niftynei x vgr). link
- Episode Y: Yuxtaposición, Y-Combinator (the institution), Y-Combinator (the math function), YC (the Yak Collective). link
- Episode Z: Zeitgeists, Zemblanity, Zen koans. Preview of Season 2. link
Lisa Neigut (@niftynei on twitter) is a software developer and writer, based in Houston.
Venkatesh Rao (@vgr on twitter) is a consultant and writer based in Los Angeles.
To get in touch, either DM us on twitter via @scorpioseasontv or contact either Lisa or Venkat. We are always on the lookout for people up to interesting things to feature on the show. Currently, we're looking for makers/hackers with intriguing builds and projects to show off.